Header Ads Widget

header ads

SENATOR MALALA WEEPS OVER ALLEGED THREATS FROM POLICE HIT SQUAD


 

Kakamega County Senator Cleophas Malala
Kakamega County Senator broke down in tears while appearing before the joint senate committee on Justice, Legal Affairs and Human Rights and National Security, Defense, and Foreign Relations. The senator denied claims that he stage-managed his arrest. Malala was arrested on August 18 on allegation of violating COVID-19 regulations.  The outspoken senator was arrested on the same day Samburu County Senator Steve Lelegwe and his Bomet counterpart Christopher Langat was arrested.

The young senator was then ferried to Mumias from Nairobi to record a statement on the matter. This was before the Senate was scheduled to vote on the now contentious revenue sharing formula law.Malala stated that despite his pleas to the police to have his security beefed up, he has been ignored.

“I am a young father and husband… It is very disheartening for people to sit in a corner and think they can take my life. I humbly request this committee and the Inspector General of Police to take note that I have said time and again my life is in danger. I have written enough letters and called offices in this Republic but they have not taken any action even to give me extra security,” stated Malala as he broke down.  ‘“Nobody is willing to give me security Mr. Chair. It is sad for me to walk around the streets of Kakamega and Kenya knowing that I’m going to die the next day.” The senator told the senate committee.

Last month the senator wrote to the inspector general of police Hillary Mutyambai and Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti stating that there was a special unit of police code-named ‘Bravo Zulu Yankee’ that had been set up to track him down and kill him.  

“As a result of those real and credible threats to harm, injure, eliminate or assassinate me, a Member of Parliament, I now request your office to take immediate action to enhance the security detail assigned to me including additional security provided immediately to my family and my residences in Kakamega and Nairobi,” the senator alleged in the letter.

Post a Comment

0 Comments